Protecting Your Wappingers Business From Electrical Fires
Most Dutchess County business owners are likely familiar with the fire codes they have to adhere to in order to make sure their business is as safe as possible, but outside of fire codes, there are still necessary fire safety steps to take.
Fire safety if something you can handle as the owner, or with your employees, to make sure the space is as safe as possible for everyone. Especially if your building contains an office where many electronics are in use, educating everyone on electrical safety is a great fire prevention strategy.
-Electrical Fire Safety in the Workplace
As the business owner, doing your part for fire safety and educating your employees so they can do the same go hand in hand. Having your facilities regularly inspected by a licensed electrician is a good place to start, and keep an eye out for areas that could use the installation of additional outlets, so you are not relying too heavily on power strips or extension cords in their place.
It’s a smart idea to have your building, property or office inspected by a fire safety and/or code safety professional. Oftentimes, their knowledge, expertise and what-ifs can be of great value in things you never would’ve thought about.
Additionally, the majority of electrical fire safety tips involve cord management and the safe usage of electronic devices. Here are some tips you can share with your employees to make sure they are practicing electrical safety throughout their day-to-day tasks:
- Avoid overloading outlets or power strips with several electronics at one
- Place all power strips in areas that are well-ventilated, in order to disperse
- Never tie knots in electrical
- Cables should never be placed under carpets or rugs in the
- Do not plug a power strip into another power
- Make sure that grounded cords are not used with ungrounded
- If a cord or cable is frayed, stop its use and replace it
- Always unplug cords by the plug instead of tugging the
- Avoid handling plugs and cables with wet
- If you see smoke or smell burning, stop using electronics immediately until it is
- Alert your manager to any outlets that have loose-fitting
- Do not rely on extension cords as a long-term power
- Know where the circuit panel, fuse box and electrical shut offs are in your building in the event of a problem.
If you sustain fire, smoke or water damage in the workplace, we are just a phone call away. Contact us at any hour to get a rapid response to your restoration needs. We’re here to help 24/7 and will make it "Like it never even happened."