If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (845) 831-3600

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fire Safety Tips for Cozy Dutchess County Winters

12/7/2021 (Permalink)

A lit fireplace with a cup of coffee and a plate of cookies placed in front of it with the words "It's Peak Season" displayed The winter months are when we handle the most fire damage restorations at homes and businesses. Always be in the know of winter fire safety tips!

As we march on to the holidays in Poughkeepsie, Fishkill, Wappingers, Beacon and Hopewell and we begin preparing our homes and our outdoor spaces for winter, it’s important that you give some thought to fire safety efforts to complement the season. Many fire safety tips will be the same as the ones you should be aware of throughout the year, but as the weather gets colder, there are other elements to consider.

An eye-opening fact is that property fires happen more when the weather turns cooler, often due to the use of heating appliances, more candle use, fireplace and chimney issues, extra cooking during the holidays and home décor becoming a fire hazard.

~Here are some key tips to help you and all family members stay safe from these risks.

Stay Safe with Space Heaters

When it turns chilly, many of us will reach for the space heaters before turning our central system on. While space heaters can be used safely, they are a leading cause of household fires because of how often they are used improperly. Be sure to keep a three-foot buffer around heaters that is free of flammable objects, and always unplug them if you are not in the room. Do NOT use an extension cord or power strip, plug it directly into the wall.

Practice Good Candle Habits

Candles make homes feel cozy, smell great and really help give a holiday feel, but they can also be incredibly dangerous. As warm and inviting as candles are, they do still contain an open flame—meaning they do present a level of risk. It is best to never leave candles unattended when lit and to extinguish them before leaving the room. Also be certain that there are no flammable items near a candle that could potentially catch fire if the flame burns too high. Holiday décor or any home décor can be a fire hazard if placed too close to a candle.

Keep Your Fireplace Functional

If you have a fireplace, make sure you get it inspected before ever lighting a fire in it. There are many issues that can develop with chimneys that can cause smoke or fire hazards inside the home. Always use a fireplace grate to avoid any accidents and never leave a fire burning unattended. Make sure it’s extinguished properly before going to bed and put any ashes in a metal container with a lid that can be stored outside, at least 3 feet away from your home.

If you’re using a wood stove, have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional. · Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from the stove. · Do not burn paper in your wood stove. · Before you go to sleep or leave your home, put the fire out completely.

If you have had fire damage in your home or business, we are here to help! Call us 24/7 and our certified fire damage restoration technicians will start the damage remediation process right away.

Contact us at any time, we’ll help make it "Like it never even happened."

Other News

View Recent Posts